Lyndar the Merciless

a personal beauty + lifestyle blog

. .

Who needs Chelsea Flower Show?

Tuesday, May 22, 2012   |   2 comments


Since the weather has turned all summery, my thoughts have turned to beautifying our garden. Well, "garden" is a bit of a stretch; it's really a long side return that's been gussied up with some cobblelock and the sort of masses of evergreen planting last seen in Jurassic Park.


Now, I know that private outdoor space in rented accommodation is something of a luxury in London, but I think it's fair to say that ours is looking far from luxurious at the moment. My primary concern is introducing a bit of colour. The planting area that runs almost the full length of the garden would be the perfect spot to plant up if it wasn't where the Jurassic shrubs live, and I'm not sure there's much point trying to do anything in the shaded zone underneath them.

I might chuck in a few shade-tolerant Busy Lizzies, Begonias, or hardy Geraniums and see how they fare, but my master plan is to use containers and hanging baskets to break up the sometimes monotonous sea of green. By the front door, I envision a standard bay tree underplanted with hot pink and coral Busy Lizzies and maybe some trailing lobelia in a black Versailles planter for a shot of glorious summer colour everytime we leave or arrive home.

I'm rock 'n' roll, me.


{image sources: 1. Crocus; 2. GardenForum; 3. Classic Garden Elements}

The hanging baskets will be a trickier proposition, since there isn't really anywhere to put up a bracket. However, I have a cheeky solution: I think I'll just try to hang them from the holes in the girders of our upstairs neighbour's veranda. It overhangs part of our outdoor space and could definitely use some cheering up.


Anyone else planning to spruce up their outdoor space for the summer?

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

  • At 9:41 pm, May 22, 2012, Blogger Rose Eva said…

    that first image of the tall, standing plant next to the white door is really pretty! I've always wanted to do something like that when I had my apartment in NYC, altho not sure how long it'd last there! haha.

    Rose Eva
    Silhouetted

     
  • At 10:04 am, May 24, 2012, Blogger Unknown said…

    I've seen people here cement their planters into the ground and use chains to secure their trees to the side of their property! Luckily our garden is tucked away behind a tall locked gate so it would be difficult for anyone to make off with any of our planters. Unless they were REALLY determined ;)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

. . . . « Older Posts . . . . . . . . . . ..Home. . . . . . . . . ... Newer Posts » .

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails