Lyndar the Merciless

a personal beauty + lifestyle blog

. .

I got ninety-nine problems and the fireplace is one

Monday, August 05, 2013   |   7 comments

There is a problem with our new flat. I mean, there is definitely more than just one problem, but I'm trying to only fixate on one at a time so that my head doesn't explode.

Today's most pressing problem: the great big huge fugly fireplace.



I bet Jay-Z doesn't have to put up with this crap.

The fireplace is very nearly as tall as me and wider than my wingspan, which would be alright if it was a thing of beauty but this is a great hulk of overbearing brown and black and purple, like an angry bruise in fire-surround form, complete with broken corners, a badly scuffed black and grey hearth, and a piddly little faux-brass gas fire that looks lost in its cavernous depths.

It is probably my least favourite thing about the whole place; apart from the fact that it's so unchangeable and undisguisable, it's out of keeping with the rest of the flat and dominates the living room completely.

I thought adding a giant mirror above it would help to pull focus so I bought this one, which is very similar to a now discontinued Graham
& Green multi-faceted mirror that I've been lusting after for about the last 6 years.


I thought all those angled mirrored panels would be better than a plain mirror which would just reflect the kitchen cabinets opposite (they're another problem, but we won't get into it now) and in that respect, the mirror works nicely. It's just that, despite its massive size (120cm x 80cm) it still looks kind of weeny on the giant mantle.

Oh, and it pulls focus to the bloody fireplace, which it looks quite mad on top of.



GAH. Hopefully I'll be able to return it and brainstorm a different solution to the fireplace conundrum. Ideally one that actually works to make the damn thing look less hideous.

At least my For Like Ever print is still looking as reliably awesome as ever, despite its puncture wounds. LUV U, poster x


Labels:

7 Comments:

  • At 6:59 pm, August 05, 2013, Blogger Unknown said…

    I kinda like the fireplace, I think its very striking! That mirror is really cool.

     
  • At 7:14 pm, August 05, 2013, Blogger Unknown said…

    It's definitely striking, Mary! Maybe I need to work with it rather than against it; find something that compliments it a bit more?

    Yeah the mirror is fab in its own right, my heart sank when we got it up on the fireplace.

     
  • At 10:54 pm, August 05, 2013, Blogger Unknown said…

    Wow. . . i actually really like the fireplace it looks like something out of gatsby!

     
  • At 9:43 am, August 06, 2013, Blogger Unknown said…

    That's interesting, Mel; I never looked at it like that before but I can see what you mean!

     
  • At 6:47 pm, August 12, 2013, Blogger S said…

    I like the fireplace! It has a definite art deco feel. My husband HATES ours, it's an orangey brick and not a day goes by where he doesn't threaten to put a sledge through it.

     
  • At 8:11 pm, August 13, 2013, Blogger Unknown said…

    How do you feel about it? I have seen some dramatic improvements of brick fireplaces that have been painted; Young House Love have done a couple that turned out great.

    Not a project for right now, perhaps ;)

     
  • At 8:25 pm, August 13, 2013, Anonymous Brittney said…

    I love that mirror collage! That is just too cool. You are great at decorating. Things just come together with you. Thanks for sharing!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

. . . . « Older Posts . . . . . . . . . . ..Home. . . . . . . . . ... Newer Posts » .

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails